Saturday, October 06, 2007

I'm going to have new EYES!!


Many people may not know that I have really bad eyes and have been wearing contacts for the last 16 years. My vision started to decline just as i entered Junior High School and since then it has just gotten worse and worse. My family and many of my closest friends know that I'm practically blind without my glasses or contacts. I'm confided to one room and pretty much useless if I don't have either. The only way to describe it to someone with good vision is that its like looking through a milk carton. I am grateful for the fact that I have been able to wear corrective lenses for so many years and that I was able to carry enough contacts to Kenya each time I've gone to last me. Its a real pain and quite expensive to have to carry enough contact lenses and cleaning solutions to last me each time i go overseas. I've wanted to have Lasik Eye Surgery for quite some time now but haven't been a candidate. But finally my vision has stabilized enough that i am now a candidate for Lasik. I've really wanted to have it done before I left for Kenya again. I've been doing my research and have found a good doctor at the Key-Whitman Eye Center in Dallas who can do it. I went for my consultation on Friday and to my surprise Dr. Whitman said he would fit me into his schedule so that I could have it done this month before we go to visit Kenya. But i sure wasn't expecting he could do it as early as NEXT THURSDAY! And that means that if all goes well TODAY is the last day I ever have to wear these contacts again. In order to have the pre-op examination on Wednesday and then surgery on Thursday I have to be out of my contacts and only wearing my glasses starting tomorrow morning. Yikes!! I haven't worn my glasses during the daylight hours in so long. That's going to be strange. But I am so excited about the thought of opening my eyes on Thursday after the surgery and being able to see!!! I've talked to many people who have had this done and have been thrilled with the results. I praise God I'm going to get to have this done and praise Him too that my insurance is helping cover some of the cost. Please pray that all goes well with my surgery next Thursday. I'm just a little nervous about it especially after reading and signing so many of the consent forms telling me the bad things that could possibly happen. But as a nurse I know all about those consent and liability forms. And I'm trusting God! I don't expect any complications and recovery should be short and sweet:) I'll just be given a little medicine and sleep the remainder of the day until my appt the next day. If any of you have had this done and have any words of encouragement or pointers let me know.

3 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only imagine, what a relief the glasses will be for you.I just prayed for you.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Bliss girl said...

HI Allison, you may not know me so i'll first introduce myself. i'm an old friend of Dennis from word of life back in the day, my name is kanini. i just wanted to let you know i'll have you in my prayers for your surgery. i had mine in oct. 2005, love my eyesight, it is really simple procedure although i had some complications and it took alot longer to heal but by God's mercy i had no infections. my advice stay calm, i was really afraid but it wasn't bad at all. Say hi to Dennis, and Romanus and yourself.

 
At 3:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi allison i wish you all the best as you get ready for the surgery to see the world with new eyes. I get to see many people's life's transformed in the t.v reality show extreme makeover and boy oh boy that thing(lasik surgery)is a miracle!I'llpray that all goes well sorry though for my late mail.

brenda from kenya f.b.c

 

Post a Comment

<< Home